i have a special spot for italian sausage. these apps are simply amazing. the mustard and lemon zest really add flavor, so don't skip!
sausage & spinach pastry spinwheels
4 tbl olive oil
1 lb italian sausage (casings removed)
2 tsp ground sage
4 tbl brown mustard
9 oz chopped frozen spinach
zest of 1 lemon
2 sheets puff pastry (pepridge farm in frozen section)
1 c parmesan cheese
1. heat 2 tbl olive oil in pan. add sausage, onion, sage, salt & pepper. cook, stirring occasionally until browned. drain fat.
2. defrost spinach. drain liquid. heat 2 tbl olive oil in pan and cook spinach for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. once cooled, stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and zest of 1 lemon.
3. layout defrosted puff pastry sheets. spread mustard over sheets with the back of a spoon or brush.
4. spread sausage mixture on top of mustard. spread spinach mixture over sausage.
5. starting with long side closest to you, roll up like a jelly roll. cut into 1" slices. place slices on baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.