this pizza is absolute heaven. for those that haven't used fontina before, it's a semi-soft buttery cheese that melts just beautifully. using shaved celery adds an unexpected crunch.
the process of caramelizing onions is simply cooking over a low heat stirring occasionally until brown and translucent, allowing all the yummy sugars to come out. it's totally worth the half hour, i promise. i personally would rather cook my pizza on the grill, but my wisconsin home doesn't allow winter grilling. so here we are using the good old fashion oven, patiently awaiting spring and more importantly, summer.
bbq chicken pizza with caramelized onions and shaved celery
pre-made pizza dough
2 chicken breasts shredded (i used rotisserie chicken)
1 cup bbq sauce
1 large onion, sliced
4 oz fontina cheese, shredded
4 oz provolone cheese, shredded
1/2 c thinly sliced celery (slice on an angle super thin to make it pretty)
1. preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. heat 2 tbl butter in a sauce pan and add onions. saute at a low heat until brown and yummy. (this can take up to a half hour depending on how many onions you have). add some salt and pepper in the last few minutes of cooking. (and if you're crazy like me add a splash of marsala wine... makes it even yummier but not absolutely necessary).
3. roll pizza dough out on a baking sheet. combine shredded chicken with bbq sauce.
4. layer fontina and provolone on dough, followed by caramelized onions, chicken and celery
5. bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust becomes golden brown.