i've been making this recipe for years. these enchiladas remind me of el azteca in good 'ol menasha, wisco. they always used green peppers and onions. i profusely begged them to open one in milwaukee... not sure they even understood what i was asking. of course these buggers aren't going to come close to an authentic mexican restaurant; for god's sakes there's cream of chicken soup in there! but, here's to tryin...
12 corn tortillas
1 1/2 lb shredded chicken (i bake 2-3 bone-in chicken breasts at 375 degrees for 45 minutes and shred)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can chopped green chili peppers
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c chicken stock
1 can enchilada sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese
1. combine cream of chicken soup, chili peppers and chicken stock.
2. saute green pepper and onions in 1 tbl olive oil until soft. add 1/2 c of combined sauce mixture above and shredded chicken. cook for 5 minutes.
3. add enchilada sauce to remaining sauce mixture.
4. spoon chicken mixture into corn tortillas fold each side over and place seam side down in 9 x 11 pan. continue this process with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
5. pour enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas and top with cheese.
6. bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until bubbling.